LANDSCAPE AND WILDLIFE PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP
Welcome to the Intensive Landscape and Wildlife Photography Workshop in Namibia, Africa. Designed for nature lovers and those who are drawn to powerful and remote landscapes as well as rich biodiversity. For those seeking to take their skills to the next level. For adventurers eager to explore the world and its dramatic locations.
Namibia is a geological paradise located in Southwestern Africa. The majority of its territory is covered in deserts, but in every corner of its land, exciting and different experiences can be found. Inside this country, the most ancient desert of the planet can be found, the Namib, with elevations greater than 300m. A dream come true for landscape photographers. Namibia’s desert conditions paved the way for marvelous creatures that evolved through time, adapting to their environmental conditions. The traditional Southern African animal species can be found in this marvelous country, as well as a new world of endemic species born from the Namib, which are impressively fascinating.
The transcendent night sky, inherent to the desert scenery Namibia provides, completely overwhelms those who gaze upon it. The Milky Way shines with such strength that it illuminates the ground and it will be just above us, engulfing us in a world of clear skies and no light pollution whatsoever.
Winter is the ideal moment to photograph the country. There’s a reduction in water quantity, which facilitates the possibility of seeing the animals, given they all congregate at the same water holes. The weather is crisp and chilly, with completely sunny and clear days.
The workshop’s main focus consists in landscape and wildlife photography, and we will be pursuing the best light so prepare yourself for long days in the search of animals, sunrises, sunsets, and nightscapes. There will also be time for very enriching cultural activities, such as visiting Brandverg’s cave paintings and the Himba tribe in northern Namibia.
The magical scenery of South-Western Africa will be our home for 14 days.
Explore Namibia with us and go through a very different experience.
Come and join the adventure!
Ruta de la Expedición:
We’ll be flying to Windhoek’s International Airport (Hosea Kutako WDH) located in Namibia’s capital, where our adventure will begin. We’ll visit a private reserve where we’ll have the opportunity of walking with Cheetahs that have been rescued, as well as photographing many other animal species and being face to face with them.
Welcome to the centre of the Namib, where the highest dunes dance with the sun. In Sossusvlei, we’ll explore the wild and untamed landscape of the desert. We’ll visit a valley of trees petrified in time and we’ll do a 45 minute photography helicopter tour at sunrise, flying over all the area to capture the magic it encompasses from the sky.
The place where the dunes touch the South Atlantic. A dramatic location, which is completely unpredictable, with a unique geology that cannot be seen elsewhere in the whole world. We’ll also have private photography safaris in order to ensure that we find all the endemic species that hide in the desert and we’ll do a macro-photography session to capture the reptiles in the area.
The most spectacular rocky formations of the desert can be found in this mountainous area. Here, we’ll capture the Milky Way dancing with the landscape, and we’ll dedicate plenty of time to landscape photography.
We’ll explore the cave paintings in Namibia’s highest mountain, Brandverg. We’ll learn about the Bushmen legacy and their prehistoric history dominating the desert and its adverse conditions. Furthermore, we’ll be in the search for desert elephants, which roam freely in the area.
We’ll have the joy of visiting one of the Himba Tribes and have a glimpse at their lifestyle and remoteness from civilisation. The Himbas are one of the few cultures that remain intact in the world and which have not yet been damaged by globalisation. We’ll give the Himba families a food donation and we’ll spend an afternoon getting to know them and photographing them in their home.
We’ll be travelling towards Etosha National Park, which is one of the biggest national parks in the country, and we will spend three days inside it, exploring and photographing the varied African wildlife in their natural habitat. Etosha is an earthly paradise in the middle of the desert and it contains lots of free living animals in its vast plains (22,270km2)
We’ll sleep in lodges inside the park and this will enable us to appreciate the nocturnal wildlife and to keep exploring the area from sunrise until sunset, hence expanding our photographic possibilities and species sightings.
Accommodation: Etosha National Park
We’ll take our private transport and head towards the biggest Private Reserve in the South of Africa: Erindi, where we’ll have our first private photography safari and where we’ll spend our first night, accompanied by the African wildlife.
We’ll return to the capital during our last day, we’ll take our flights back home in the afternoon. By the end of the workshop, you will have experienced a unique and spectacular journey in one of the most pristine and remote locations of the African continent. Acquiring a deeper understanding of wildlife and landscape photography, its techniques, as well as memory cards filled with all the incredible places, animals and portraits that we have encountered. A life changing experience!
- Two professional photographers.
- Local guide who’ll be with us at all times.
- Theoretical and practical photography lessons
- Private ground transportation with enough space for luggage and photographic equipment.
- Accommodation in double bedrooms in high quality lodges
- All food throughout the tour
- Ground transportation from and to Hosea Kutako International Airport
- Entry to the National Parks and Private Reserves
- Entry to all private photography safaris
- Photographic 45 minute helicopter flight over Sossusvlei
- Loan of multi-flash equipment for macro photography
- Costs and logistics of Visa procedure from Costa Rica
- Orientation talk in Costa Rica as well as via streaming two months before the start of the workshop.
- Flight tickets (we’ll give advice about the flight route and arrival times) You may buy your flight tickets with us through the email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Snacks and beverages
- Personal medications
- Tips for the guides. It is recommended to budget a minimum of $10 per day for guides and drivers. We will have local guides throughout the trip and they are very humble people of limited resources but with a great heart, knowledge and willingness to help at all times. That’s why we encourage workshop participants to bring cash so that we can tip them as we see fit.
- The workshop is designed for photographers of all levels.
- Must know and manage basic concepts of manual photography (aperture, shutter speeds, ISO, focal range).
- Once you book the workshop, we will send you the Namibia Guide, a document with all the requirements and recommendations to be as prepared as possible to live this unique experience.
- Digital camera with interchangeable lenses (DSLR or Mirrorless)
- Telephoto zoom lens: 100-400mm, 150-600mm, 200-500mm are highly recommended given they permit greater flexibility, especially when animals get closer or farther away. We also recommend the use of prime lenses like 400mm, 500mm, or 600mm in case of counting with them.
- Wide angle lens for landscape photography with F2.8 aperture or brighter.
- Macro lens: 100mm, 90mm, or similar. We’re going to use it a lot during the whole expedition for reptiles and amphibians.
- Speedlite-type external flash with its wireless trigger and at least 13×8-inch softbox
- Stable tripod
- Solid and gradual neutral density filters for landscape photography
- At least 3 batteries for the camera.
- Multiple memory cards
- Brush and dust blower for the camera and lenses
Clothing & Accessories:
- Clothing for the cold and the desert.:
- Long-sleeved shirts
- Long pants
- Hiking boots at all times
- Base layer for the night photography sessions.
- Jacket, beanie hat and gloves for the cold
- Hat or cap
- Headlamp and hand torch
- Microfibre cloths
- Extra batteries
- A powerstrip with international power plugs
LEVEL OF PHYSICAL EXERTION: MODERATE
LUIS SOLANO POCHET
Costa Rican photographer, blogger, speaker and expert traveler. Founder and Director of ToTheWonder®, the adventure photography blog and the most important photography tour operator in Costa Rica and Central America. Brand ambassador in his country for Patagonia, Petzl, La Sportiva, Sea To Summit and Trangoworld. He leads international photography workshops with the educational programme ToTheWonder® Workshops, based in Costa Rica. Luis is known for capturing the spectacular landscapes of the world with an original emotional approach.
Photography is his passion and the pictures he takes become tangible trophies of his life experiences. They’re a glimpse to that moment in time, charged with emotions and with the power to evoke the feelings he had when taking them. It’s his way of owning and sharing some of the spectacular world we live in.
Per person in double bedroom
The space is reserved with the deposit of $2,200 USD non-refundable.
First partial payment: $2600must be made before February 28, 2019
Pago Final: $2600 must be made before April 28, 2019
Partial payments can be made at the participant’s convenience
Buy your flight tickets from us!
Write to us at email@example.com with your application and we will gladly help you
Come and join the adventure!
Reservation or inquiries
If you are having problems with our form, you can send us the information directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Welcome to the ToTheWonder Explorers family!
Luisana Velasco Zeledón
“There are no words to describe this wonderful trip! Luis’s and Alvaro’s professionality. The warm friendship between all of us made this new experience something very hard to forget. The friendship that was born from this trip is something we need to nurture! We didn’t only learn, we also had a great time. That thrill and excitement we felt with the first aurora and the music that made us cry when seeing it. Thanks for so much!”
Elke Heinrich Bettoni
“This week I’ve lived a dream and I’ve shared it with a group of people that proved to be so nice, so funny and so great travel partners that I’m already sad about our adventure ending. Together in our bus, we’ve traveled hundreds and hundreds of kilometers, getting to know the most spectacular landscapes, in the search for the best locations, the best light, the most beautiful photographs, and we had the blessing of seeing our dreamed auroras. We’ve eaten deliciously and enjoyed so much. I would repeat this experience a thousand times more! Thank you Luis, for this wonderful week! Thank you Alvaro, and thank you my travel partner friends. I carry with me memories that will accompany me all my life as well as very pretty pictures.”
“We’ve traveled to Iceland and Norway with this company and it went VERY well! Wonderful trip, impeccable organisation, guides with deep photographical knowledge and great disposition to teach. Also, very enthusiastic! 100% recommended.”
“This was my first time participating in an International Photography Workshop and I’m certain it won’t be the last time. Thank you ToTheWonder, for making this a unique and gratifying experience. Thanks to you we managed to capture the right moments in the optimal conditions, always in the search for the magical moment. Simply spectacular!”
“I’ve taken plenty of workshops with Luis and Alvaro, and I highly recommend them! It’s not the same to sit in a classroom to learn about photography, and to travel with photographers like them to take photographs, learn techniques, tricks and spend time with other photographers. Also, contrasting many other teachers, Luis and Alvaro don’t event take photographs during the trips, they are completely dedicated to supporting the participants. They’re always available. Highly recommended workshops!”
Victor Alvarado Alfaro
“Participating in the workshops with Luis and Alvaro it’s not only excellent to refresh and learn landscape and wildlife photography concepts, but it also provides the possibility to spend time with nature lovers and to admire the beauties of our country. I’m already eager to participate in the next workshop!”
“Meeting Luis and Alvaro was a dream come true, and realising that beyond being great photographers they’re also super friendly, pleasant and excellent when sharing their knowledge, made me love photography even more and lead me to strive to eventually become at least a fraction of what they are, they’re my role models and I deeply admire them, and here I’ll remain, trying to go to as many tours as I can with you, thank you very much!”
“Teachers with such a mixture of professionalism and passion couldn’t have had a result other than creating in me an incredible desire to delve deeper and deeper into this world. With ToTheWonder Workshops, you’ll see positive results of your investment, given that with the knowledge learned you’ll be able to imbibe in a photograph unique moments but in a better way.”
First payment 30%:
• The reservation deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable to another workshop
• It should be done as soon as possible to block your field on the expedition.
• No fields will be reserved without deposit
Second payment 35%:
• 4 months before the workshop start date
Third payment 35%:
• 2 months before the workshop start date
• Last payment to pay the total amount
Nobody wants to miss the trip! But things happen and in case you can’t participate in the workshop and cancel your participation, refunds will be handled as follows:
• More than 4 months prior to the start of the workshop: 100% of the amount paid to date will be refunded.
• Less than 4 months before the start of the workshop: 50% of the amount paid to date will be refunded
• Less than 2 months before the start of the workshop: no refunds will be made
• The reservation deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable to another workshop in any of the scenarios
In case of a major inconvenience (weather, mechanical, accident or illness) and the workshop cannot be held, ToTheWonder will negotiate directly with the participants to schedule an alternative date or the refund of the investment will be handled as follows:
• 100% of the total investment if the workshop did not take place
1.A. TheWonder Workshops doesn’t take responsibility for accidents involving a workshop participant and it won’t cover medical expenses in case they’re needed. During the workshop, each participant is responsible for his safety and physical integrity.
1.B. ToTheWonder Workshops doesn’t take responsibility for accidents or loss of photographic equipment. During the workshop, each participant is responsible for his photographic equipment.
2.A. The Workshop starts on a specific date and in a timely manner. All participants must be in Windhoek, Namibia for the start date of the workshop. In case of delay due to an inconvenient, the participant must communicate with a ToTheWonder representative beforehand and as soon as possible.
3.A. Respect and patience are the foundations for a successful workshop. Participants may be in different levels of knowledge about the subject, which is why patience is required when topics that are already in your dominion are explained. Each participant’s photographing area must be respected. Disrespect from a participant towards another member of the workshop or staff won’t be tolerated.
4.A. The tour and its itinerary depends on the weather and it may change from one moment to the next. We’ll always be in constant monitoring of the weather in order to determine where to go and to optimize the taking of photographs.